Home | Forums | Anything Arnel | Everyman’s Journey – press, tweets and all

This topic contains 75 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by celadonia celadonia 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author

wave63
    Participant

http://www.c21media.net/archives/123805

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  wave63.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by  wave63.

Luchie
    Participant

Mabuhay ka Arnel Pineda and Journey! Good luck to your concert tonight. Don’t ever change.

MARY
    Participant

Very nice interview. Thanks for sharing. Ms. Diaz sounded very smart and I’m glad she kept the focus of the story on Arnel. It was such a fun, inspiring movie. The only beef I had was that the theater was only 1/3 full. I accidentally found out it was showing that day in my city, about an hour from starting. I’ve never eaten my dinner so fast so I could go to the movie LOL. Anyway, I wish it had more publicity. Or if I could have known ahead of time that the movie was coming that day, I could have done an email blast to my friends. As it was, I just barely had enough time to drive and get to the theater. I did manage to bring along 1 person but 10 would have been better 🙂

celadonia
    celadonia
    Participant

Finally able to have a full time to sit down and finish my review in between motherhood duties, job, visiting friend, reunions and the rains that messed up everyone’s schedule in Manila.

It’s pretty long ( I have already deleted three paragraphs! lol) So here’s an excerpt and the link.

http://celadon2010.blogspot.com/2013/09/everymans-journey-that-every-man-should.html

“…You can also give it to Arnel’s magnetic presence even on the screen and off stage that despite being surrounded by the people who have already made names to themselves and became legends in their field, that when Arnel shows up on screen you just gobble up every second and only see him stand out regardless of who he was with. Now I understand what Ramona meant when she said in one interview that the camera loves him. I think it’s like when a camera has a face detector feature, it almost always focuses on Arnel’s first.

Throughout the film and during his downtime moments, Arnel is often seen as a softspoken guy and understandably especially before and between gigs to preserve his voice. But he also seems to be always in a pensive mood and taking everything in. One instance of note was when Neal showed some sign of concern when Arnel said he has a cold. And then John Barruck comes and joins the conversation and he talks about tickets being sold out. Neal teases him “Pressure” when he saw a rather glum faced Arnel and to which the latter said “I am just shutting myself up.” And I wonder. Where does he get that sense of tranquility with the kind of situation he is in? …”

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by celadonia celadonia.
    Toni
    Toni

My comment off FB:

We have to remember, this docu was shot during his early days with Journey. AP wasn’t as comfortable or at ease then, IMO. AP has a funny side, a very funny side – a side not captured in the film.

Cela – thanks for sharing your blog!! Loved reading it!

celadonia
    celadonia
    Participant

Thanks Toni. So many things have changed since then. We see a vast improvement not only in his confidence and performance by leaps (literally lol) and bounds while at the same time remaining humble and grounded.

JenaIsle
    JenaIsle
    Participant

Hi @celadonia, a very well-written post, flows seamlessly. Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts on AP’s film. It was a joy reading it. I devoured every word. We must keep writing about him, so other people would be inspired by his amazing story. I never get tired reading all articles about him, even if I know his story like the back of my hand now.

Perhaps we can start a post in which all of us would contribute. The title of the post: “What AP Means to Ne.”

:ap_smile:

Thanks again, Cela. It was a pleasure reading it.

:ap_thumbsup:

gigi

Toronto peeps, Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey will have its Canadian premiere at the Toronto Reel Asian International Film Festival, November 5-16, 2013.

Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey

Ramona Diaz | USA 2012 | 113:00 | Canadian Premiere |

When American band Journey went in search of a new lead singer, they happened upon YouTube clips of a Filipino singer with a voice of gold, belting out cover tunes in an obscure Manila bar. A modern day rags-to-riches tale.

Full programming will be announced at the festival press conference on October 8, 2013. Tickets on sale through reelasian.com on October 8, 6:00 pm.

eb2008
    eb2008
    Participant

Thanks Gigi for the info. Gathering Toronto peeps now and can’t wait for October to come so we get more info on exact time and date

celadonia
    celadonia
    Participant

Thanks Jen. :ap_smile:

seven
    Participant

facebook comments from new fan and old fan turned new fan

CP: There is a documentary on Netflix called “Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey” which is about Journey and their new lead singer Arnel Pineda. Oh my God… I’m an emotional wreck after watching that – What a beautiful story about a beautiful guy. If you can, watch it… and make sure you have tissues nearby. Not that I needed tissues… no way man! haha

JPD: ok, i never never never never never never and i do mean never ever in a MILLION BILLION TRILLION years thought i would say it but i am about to eat some serious words that i never thought i would say…here goes…I LOVE ARNEL. there i said it and i mean it. if you dont know who Arnel Pineda is, google him.

Luchie
    Participant

Arnel, your life story is truly an inspiration to many people. Neal Schon and other Journey band members are amazing people, too. They gave you a chance to show your talent to the world. God bless you Arnel and Journey (including your Management and Operations Staff).

celadonia
    celadonia
    Participant

King Fa Mulan ‏@kingfamulan 10h
    Ahhh I finished a documentary about @arnelpineda and also finished a 5 page analysis on it. I am happy! Yay for Asians in the industry!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 7 months ago by celadonia celadonia.
    coley716
    coley716

‘Don’t Stop Believin’: One singer’s journey
    http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20130930__Don_t_Stop_Believin___One_singer_s_journey.html

INDEPENDENT LENS. DON’T STOP BELIEVIN’: EVERYMAN’S JOURNEY. 10 tonight, WHYY12.

* WE ARE MEN. 8:30 tonight, CBS3.

What I know about the band Journey is pretty much limited to “Glee,” the ending of “The Sopranos” and former “American Idol” judge and bass player Randy Jackson, who occasionally prefaced his assessments with the words, “When I was with Journey . . . ”

So maybe I’m the last person in the universe to hear about Arnel Pineda, the Filipino club singer who joined the band as its lead singer in 2007 after Journey guitarist Neal Schon saw him on YouTube and whose own journey is the focus of PBS’ “Independent Lens” tonight.

But even if you’ve followed the band’s every move since 1973, you’d probably learn something from “Don’t Stop Believin’: Everyman’s Journey.”

If only how very, very hard rock stars actually work.

Because the Cinderella story that filmmaker Ramona Diaz (“Imelda”) set out to tell when she went on tour with Pineda and Journey doesn’t end with the band’s decision to hire Pineda. It begins there.

And once it gets beyond the exhilaration of seeing the diminutive Pineda and his very large voice win over first the band and then the audience, “Don’t Stop Believin'” becomes the story of a man whose overnight success has taken decades to arrive.

Pineda, who as a teenager spent time living on the streets before singing helped him reunite his siblings under an extremely modest roof, had already had, and very nearly lost, a career in Asia when Schon first reached out to him, and this time he was determined not to lose it, or his voice.

Living the dream requires stamina and a level of discipline the singer (who’s older than he looks) hasn’t always exercised in the past, and it’s the effort, as much as the extraordinary voice, that distinguishes him here.

By the time the band arrives in Manila for Pineda’s emotional homecoming, every note feels as if it’s been earned.

seven
    Participant

Journey doc review from the pt of view of a film and TV editor:
    http://www.popmatters.com/review/175594-dont-stop-believin-everymans-journey-on-pbs/

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.